Wednesday, January 28, 2009

thoughts on student teaching #2

With the "Ice Storm of 2009" (what the TV stations have deemed it) occurring here and halfway across the U.S., we got 2 days off from school, which was appreciated. This is only my 3rd week student teaching, but I haven't even had a full 5 day work week yet. I am happy for that though. I am enjoying being there and teaching, but I sure am a tired woman by the end of the day. Then there's the nightly duties of a wife and mom to take care of, not to mention starting to feel like I'm carrying something - a wonderful something- with me all the time.

Friday I arrived at school a little later than planned to my cooperating teacher saying she tried to call my phone, but couldn't get through. (My phone has had the habit lately of turning completely off randomly. It's quite annoying.) She wasn't feeling well and wanted to know if I'd be okay with subbing the whole day. We hadn't discussed lesson plans or anything for that day, so I had 15 minutes to get the classroom set up for the 3rd graders and review all that she wanted to teach. Whew! Have I mentioned her days are nonstop? Only one brief planning time for about 15 mins in the morning and then whatever time you can squeeze out of a 25 min lunch. Oh wait, then there are also those 5 extra minutes (yeah right) that occur in the afternoon. So, it was a rush, but everything panned out fine. I guess teachers are trained to think on their feet a bit. I just know now what shoes NOT to wear next time.

1 comment:

Amity said...

you. me. payless.
goal: find CUTE comfy flats. :)