Monday, March 10, 2008

the big boy bed.

I think I have solved the sleep-deprivation epidemic in America. If people would only never have to transition into a big bed, people would get a full amount of rest every night. We'd all have comfy, "just right", confined spaces to snuggle up in and never be tempted with that evil idea that we could actually get down out of our cribs on our own. That's it. That's the solution. We'd all be completely well rested and happy citizens.

Every transition in your child's life comes with it's difficulties and joys. This one, so far, has been tough. The only experience I've had with this has been with my nephew, his transition was a gigantic piece of chocolate cake with whipped icing all over it. My sister-in-law just put him in a full-sized bed one night and he stayed, slept, and has never been different. His usual reaction to bed-time is, "ok". And off he goes, not to be seen until morning. My other sister-in-law has a friend who's 2 kids sleep in the same room, and they don't know that they can get down off of their regular beds! When they drop something on the floor, they yell for the parents to come retrieve it. And believe me, they come running. Because as soon as they figure out they can, life will change.

The thing is, Deron gets so excited that he is sleeping in a big boy bed, that he just cannot stay in it. After only a few minutes we hear him creep around the corner and jump in the room as if we were going to be overjoyed that we see him! He has always been such an awesome sleeper from early on... maybe that's why this has been so difficult. 3 hour naps have been the staple afternoon tradition for almost 3 years. Now the only way to get him sleeping for sure is in the car. And, as most of us are, if he doesn't get adequate sleep... we're ALL unhappy. *sigh*

I think that's enough venting. For my friends who are reading who haven't made it this far in the joy of parenting, don't let my post discourage you or fear the future. For those who have mastered this stage, please make a donation to protect my sanity! I will try anything.... maybe.

2 comments:

Erin said...

I wonder if putting a rail on the side of his bed would help keep him in it? You know the ones you can get at Target that have a piece that slides under the mattress? And you know we used that door knob thing and a gate to keep Andrew in his room! This does not ensure a nap, but it keeps him in the room. I know its hard - hang in there! He'll make the adjustment. The supernanny's trick is to just keep putting them back in the bed over and over again with no talking and they'll get the hint. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hi Katy! I was on your myspace page and wondered over here. I had the same problem with Hunter. The only place he would sleep was my bed...which got more and more crowded the bigger he got. When we got his big boy bed, he was excited but still wouldn't sleep in it. Finally, I just let him fall asleep in my bed and then move him in to his bed. After he would wake up in the morning, I would praise him on sleeping in his big bed. After awhile, he finally got the point and went to his bed without complaint.

Good luck!