Wednesday, February 11, 2009

thoughts on student teaching #3

I told the kids last Friday that I was expecting another little one in August. Reactions were much varied and mostly hilarious. Several 4th grade boys in different classes shouted out, "I KNEW it! I was going to ask you about that!" I quickly told them that you should never, under any circumstances ask a woman if they are pregnant, but to let HER share her secret. Some of the 5th grade girls squealed and hugged me like I was their b.f.f.e. (Although, these same girls have told me several times that I have the "cutest clothes ever!" and asked me where I shop. - I never knew I could get my day made by a couple of 11 going on 17 year-olds.) The 3rd graders are always my favorite, so charming and still mostly innocent. They were mostly in shock and awe, except for a few that were a little upset that I've waited SO long to tell them. They couldn't stand knowing that I've known longer than them and have kept it from them for weeks! How rude! haha

Today, my first 3rd grade class asked if I had had the baby. Without going into detail, I then had a class discussion on how long it takes a baby to grow inside it's mother. No, it's not one week.

We had the best lesson today in 5th grade. We watched "Joyful, Joyful" from Sister Act 2, because we had learned the "traditional" way to sing it yesterday, and were exploring new ways to sing it. The comments were wonderful! When describing the differences they heard in the different versions, it came up that one kid had heard the traditional version in church. One boy said, "yeah, I've heard it there too. I know 'cause it's slow and boring." That made me giggle.. I was thinking, not at my church! It was so fun to watch them get excited about music. One boy even said I sounded JUST like the "black girl" on the movie... another smile that made my day. Thanks, kids!

3 comments:

Amity said...

How sweet. What fun memories!! :)

Jenn said...

Oh the innocence of 3rd grade!! I've always thought that God blessed the "black women" with the gift of singing (that that we don't all please him) so what an amazing compliment to you!!

D'Nae said...

Aww I love how kids say things!