Saturday, March 28, 2009

thoughts on student teaching #5

About a week and a half ago I finally moved over to the high school choir room for my student teaching assignment. I love it. I really do! Yeah, the drama is more intense, the kids are a little scarier, and the talking is louder. But this schedule is awesome! We are on a regular 7-day period schedule, and she has 1st period and 7th period planning, and then lunch right in the middle. Also, she has an assistant director, so she only has 3 choirs she's in the room for, with the intention that she can be called on to help or accompany or whatever, which she often does. Keep in mind though, I came in on a "down" time, since there are no huge trips they are planning for and taking tens of thousands of dollars for (just got back from Seattle over Spring Break, last year they went to Austria, before that they went to Hawaii, etc), or any huge concerts. They are preparing for UIL contest, which is fun for me. I like the polishing process. To me, it's when the music finally clicks with the kids and there are many more "wow" moments for them. That's when it gets fun.

When stuff does pick up, there are tons of afterschool rehearsals and night rehearsals and weekend rehearsals. And stress. I'm sure of it. But what job doesn't have a certain amount of stress?

Anyway, I love getting to know the kids and talking on a more mature level with them. They already know lots of musical terms and how to produce them, so it's far easier to explain things. Obviously. I think my personality just fits with older kids better. We'll see how the weeks progress though.

This week a girl had a seizure and fell off the back of the risers, through the shell that was behind her. It was scary, but everyone thinks she's fine. No history of seizures before. Also a girl got something stolen in class and came to us reporting it, but wouldn't let us know what "it" was. She explained that it was something very valuable and special to her, later we found out that it was her cell phone. Yeah, that's another thing different that elementary school. Most of the time, at least in our classes, cell phones aren't too much of a problem. Kids are (for the most part) engaged and it's hard for them to hide them behind their folders. :)

Anyway, the first weeks have been good. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Amity said...

you are doing great!! love you.

Jennifer said...

Katy! Thanks for the comment. I've heard OF Jesus Culture and Kim Walker, but I haven't checked them out. I'll have to do it.

PS- When are you moving back to Dallas so we can be friends? I have a feeling our husbands would get on well.