Monday, April 13, 2009

my Spring/Summer 2009 favorites!

So Jennifer posted this blog and I thought it was such a fun idea, I wanted to do it too! All credit goes to her! Do it yourself, it's fun!

My list is going to include things that I love and things I want to get reacquainted with... here it goes.


1. The Supernatural Power of a Transformed Mind by Bill Johnson. I started reading this book around December, had to read the first chapter again, and then still haven't finished it. Not because it's a hard book to get through, but because all of the pure gold and wisdom that is presented needs rereading and meditation! I am so excited to give God every ounce of me so that His Kingdom can flow straight through me to people. Who wouldn't want to have "access to a life of miracles"? I sure do! Bill Johnson is also the senior pastor of Bethel Church in Redding, CA where JesusCulture is from. What an awesome church! Reading and watching their testimonies of how we all should be bringing God's power to earth is faith-building and inspiring!



2. Ice Cream with peanuts! Ok, call it a pregnancy craving or whatever you will, but the other night we had a 1/2 gallon of Hot Fudge Sundae Bluebell ice cream in the freezer. I was not impressed by the lack-of chocolate. I mean, if the title is "Hot Fudge Sundae", there should be at least 1/3 hot fudge to every bite of vanilla. So after topping it with my own chocolate syrup, I added a handful of dry roasted peanuts from the pantry. O-M-Goodness were my tastbuds in a tizzy! My mouth had a party that night and we plan to indulge quite often, thank you.


3. Mayan Mocha from JavaCity. I am a die-hard Starbucks fan. I really am. Ever since I personally tasted my first mocha frappuccino in Portland, OR circa 1994 (WAAAAY before it hit DFW), I was hooked. I nearly cried the first time I saw it in a Barnes & Noble, and only driving distance from my house. And then one came to a little town called Abilene while I was in college. And it was a DRIVE-THRU! Hallelujah! Anyway, JavaCity just doesn't compare to me. But sometimes you just need something. A couple of weeks ago, my love and I decided to step in for a mid-morning splurge. I tried a decaf-mayan mocha and was thoroughly impressed! It's not anything extreme, just a mocha with a little extra spice, but JavaCity, you have captured my attention. Now when I am on the northside and need a little pick-me-up, I know where I'll be headed.


4. Billy Joel Specifically this album. His Greatest Hits Vol. 1&2. Growing up, I would listen to this thing over and over. I love me some Billy Joel. PianoMan, the Entertainer, She's Always a Woman, those are some timeless treasures. Somehow the CD's my sister owned got lost, so I haven't been able to hear a lot of these songs except on Pandora. It just saddens me that when our youth group had a "seek and find" game to match funny facts to youth leaders, no one knew nor cared that I could sing every word to "We Didn't Start the Fire". Come on, people! That's pretty amazing!

5. Tide Pure Essentials Laundry Detergent I'll be honest. I don't really know why I love this stuff so much. I'm not terribly concerned with my detergent being "pure" or "organic", but I will make an extra trip to Drug Emporium because I know they sell this "flavor" of detergent. It's just so pure. And so essential. I love it.


6. Gauchos I've been trying for over a year to find some of these cute pants. No luck. Anywhere. Am I completely out of style here? I think they are super cute, modest, and flattering. Now the problem is that if I want to wear them this summer, now I have to look in the maternity section. *sigh*

7. My HSU class ring This has so much significance to me. I'm only a somewhat-sentimental person, but a couple of weeks ago when the provost made his speech to the upcoming graduates about the end being near and congratulating us on our accomplishments and so forth, I seriously shed a tear. This long, tedious journey is almost over. Have you ever walked away from something in your life and then gone back to finish what you've started? It has proven to be lightyears harder managing school with being a wife and mommy, but immensely worth it. I can not describe to people the feeling that comes with finishing something that was started almost a decade ago and has required so much sacrifice and energy.


8. Do-it-yourself ThinMints! http://littlebirdiesecrets.blogspot.com/2009/03/make-your-own-thin-mints.html I can't remember where I saw this recipe, but I tried it and they are awesome! Seriously! They make a TON and they are cheap! The only thing is, keep them in the fridge so the chocolate doens't melt all over the place. I will definitely keep these made and stocked.

9. Baby BOYS! Another strapping boy! Another crazy tool-loving, short-haired, lego-building, train-obsessed, sports-playing, man of God in training! (Sorry if those generalizations bothered anyone.) We found out a couple of weeks ago the Crumpton name will live on with yet another little man. I've had so many people say to me, "aww, were you hoping for a girl?" or "that's ok, boys are fun!" and "I bet the NEXT will be a girl." Uh, wait a minute. I actually find it a privilege to be able to train up a boy to be the leader in his future home, to learn to submit himself to authority so he can submit himself to his Ultimate Authority, to teach him to love a woman unconditionally and sacrificially, to grow him to worship without restraint and hindrance. What an honor to raise a man who loves God! I'm excited to bring up another boy, as crazy as they can be.

4 comments:

big D wilsons said...

#6 i found some awesome ones at ann taylor loft 2 summers ago. of course, they are in storage now, but they were awesome and only 19.99!

also, i think i'll make me a list too. =)

Erin said...

Wow, so much to comment on!

- the book sounds AWESOME!
- try a hot fudge sundae from McD's b/c it comes with a little baggie of peanuts to sprinkle on top!
-I seem to remember you and Libby singing that song on a ski trip...am I wrong about that? Wasn't that the "Denzel!" trip?
- you're an awesome mom to boys - congrats sweet friend!

katy said...

Monica (and Erin), if you find cute gauchos this season, please let me know!

oh man, yes, Erin, that was that ski trip. haha! I don't remember Denzel. uh-oh. I think there were several things I might've blocked off though. :)

Amity said...

GAUCHOS

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=45493&vid=1&pid=552400&scid=552400012

http://www.9monthstogrow.com/maternity/f05cropsshorts.htm (8th row...1st pair)

http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?DeptID=51661&CatID=51661&Grptyp=SIZ&ItemId=1602cbb&cmRef=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:*:IE-Address&rlz=1I7DKUS&ei=rq7kSZjmCOnrnQel7eivCQ&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=maternity+denim+gauchos&spell=1