Sunday, August 9, 2009

The arrival: Jude Owen Crumpton

So here's the story, I know I love hearing the details, so here it goes!

Wednesday night we took Philip to my mother-in-laws house as usual so we could have our usual weekly date night (no sense in not having one the day before such a BIG day!). We had a nice light dinner together dreaming of what our new little one would look like, sound like, act like, etc, and came home. My parents shortly thereafter came into town and stayed with us overnight. 3:30 am came quite early the next morning, and Philip and I got up, dressed, and headed to the hospital. We were checked in and I was prepped in a storage closet of a room (seriously). It was rather humorous, gray paint stripped off the metal door of the bathroom, an old extra laptop on a cart in the corner of the room, big plastic storage bins mounted to the wall, gray linoleum instead of hardwood floors like the rest of the wing. I was surprised I had a clean bed. But they apologized and said they were completely full- only having one birthing room open, reserved for someone that might come in in labor. We understood, knowing we wouldn't be there for long.

I got wheeled into the OR a couple hours later, making the comment, "how can you not get nervous coming in to a room like this?" with all the white, sterile machines, two giant chrome lights above a single tiny table in the middle, doctors and nurses buzzing around with masks already on their faces... I leaned over for my spinal which didn't go in properly, was quite painful and got Philip queezy. He had to sit down and be brought juice to regain his stomach. The anesthesiologist took over (for the nurse anesthetist) and succeeded without much pain on my end (thankfully). Then began the strangest procedure I've ever experienced in my life. If you have never had surgery while awake before- there's nothing like it. I knew what was going on down below the curtain, but could not feel a thing! I kept telling Philip (who was fine now, and holding my hand), "This is so weird! So weird!" I was talking to the doctor and nurses the whole time, asking them what was this sound and that, etc.

Then it came. The most wonderful, heart-capturing sound God created: my baby's cry. I hadn't heard it with Deron because I was under general anesthesia for the c-section. There is no way to explain the joy I felt hearing Jude's cry: absolutely amazing. Instant tears flooded my eyes. They held him over the curtain so I could see him and he immediately stopped crying. We looked at each other for an hour-long instant. A beautiful moment. Then they cleaned him up, weighed him (7 lbs, 9oz), and gave him to Philip to show me again. Then Philip left with Jude and the nurses to the nursery for more cleaning as they finished sewing me up. I continued to make small talk with the staff as I laid there on the table. We talked about how we hated Walmart and loved Target and wished there was a Super Target in town. The nurses all commented on my tan and how cute my toes were, also. YES! That's what a woman wants to hear when she's naked, cut open, and just had a baby. Thank you pedicure!! haha...

Recovery was, recovery. Then off to the nursery to see my newborn Jude. They wouldn't let me have him in the room yet because he was breathing fast (normal, but watched in c-section babies). Philip was filling me in on how calm he was during the first exams, laying there interested and peaceful. His countenance we knew before we had ever seen him. They finally brought him in my room around 1pm. Everyone had gone to eat lunch or let me rest, so I got some time to spend with Jude all alone. This was so special! I fell in love all over again!

The rest of the day was spent, on my end, trying to stay awake and somewhat coherent (the morphine was doing a doozy on me!) while we had many visitors and family come meet Baby Jude and congratulate us. The first night was actually great! We decided to have Jude stay in the nursery and come in for feedings. This allowed Philip and I to get some MUCH needed rest during the night. Day #2 was great as well, getting a shower, eating real food, and getting more rest. We got to come home yesterday (Day #3), and are enjoying our new family of 4. It's so much fun!

Here are pictures of our week. Enjoy!






Pre-surgery (we were excited!)



The first time I got to see him.








Philip showing him off to big brother!



Showing Jude to the grandparents and brother.


Getting to hold him for the first time!




Footprints


Hey Jude!



Holding my two sons




Brotherly love. He seriously has been this affectionate since he came!






Ok, this is a funny one. I was really excited to have real food again and have taken a shower. I was "woohoo-ing". It was a great chicken salad sandwich!




Daddy and his new love.





See his shirt? It reads "I have arrived"....home, that is. :) I thought it was appropriate and cute!


Welcoming Baby Jude to his new room.

7 comments:

Amy Lynn said...

I love reading birth stories! I made sure I had a pedicure before Mattilynn came, but I ended up having socks on the whole time, so the nurses didn't even get to see my pretty toes! Funny the things us girls think of before such a big day!

Amity said...

I love details too!! How precious. You are such a wonderful mother. Even looking at these pictures, I can see such PEACE and love...wow, how awesome! :)

Erin said...

sweet jude! Corinne keeps wanting to watch the video of "the little baby!"

Jessica said...

i love reading your stories KT! You are an awesome writer! Thank you for sharing. As moms we love to hear/read and compare our stories. It's brought back so many memories! You have so many wonderful things to look forward to! Angel and I are here for you guys in whatever way we can serve you! Blessings to your beautiful family

Kara said...

Yay! I am so excited to see Jude! You guys look so great. Hope you are getting some rest

Lauren Graves said...

Congratulations Katy!!!

Lindy said...

Ditto to all the previous comments-thanks for sharing the details, and when my time comes, I'll be sure to have a tan and a pedicure! haha! :) You have a BEAUTiful family Katy!